Friday, September 16, 2016

Boat Maker

I think N has a bit of his uncle and granddad in him (this makes sense, it's in the blood). He's been working furiously on building assorted remote control (RC) vehicles and it's pretty cool to see. This current project is to build an RC boat, which I think would speak to his uncle, the Amazing PR Man. He built the hull out of cardboard and then water-sealed it with paint, varnish, and caulking. He then installed a RC motor from assorted parts from old RC vehicles in addition to special parts that he ordered online. Once the pieces were all in place, he would take it out for a test run in a nearby stream and then come home to tweak the construction to make it work. I'm not sure where he's at with it, but it's cool to see him so engrossed and focused. His work bench looks like something out of a sci-fi movie, and I've given him free reign over my tool set, so he's on auto-pilot. What's cool is that the boat is fun but it also involves some fairly sophisticated electronic components. I'll say this, it's way over my head.

Hope he sticks with it because it's pretty cool stuff. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Steven Oldak for the pic.

No comments: