Thursday, September 1, 2016

Time for School

Now that we're back from our vacation, we've had to jump right into the fray and get ready for school. No rest for the weary, or for that matter, the jet-lagged. This year is compounded by the fact that N will also take a class, so we have two schools to attend. With A we sort of know the drill because she went last year and she is pretty comfortable in her environment. Plus, her school really has it together, so things just fall into place seamlessly. For N, we are venturing into new territory, but he's only taking one class, and it's a shop class, so not only is it low stress, but it involves stuff that he likes to do. He's a pretty cool kid (in my opinion), so it should be okay. We'll see.

That does mean, however, that there are things to prepare. A needed all sorts of stuff for school so we were running around gathering various academic implements. She is taking an early class so that means dad has to wake up early to get her to school. Normally this is not a problem but I've been sleeping later than usual so now that has to end. It doesn't help working late nights, but I'm not going to start whining. As for N, it's really just about mentally preparing for a new experience. I think mom and dad have more anxiety than he does, or at least that's what we hope. He doesn't seem too concerned, so we'll go with it.

He had orientation for school and I took him over figuring we'd sit in a big room and listen to what they had to offer, but it turned out that parents were not invited. What? We got there and the instructor said, "kids only." I was going to try to ease N's mind but he was already down the hall before I realized what was going on. Like I said, I don't think it's weighing too heavily on his mind, and that's just fine by us. With some time on my hands I was able to get into poster boy mode and get some work done before picking him up. Of course afterward I grilled him as to how it went and he was his usual vague and elusive self. This, mind you, is a good thing because it means all systems are fine and there's nothing weighing too heavily on his mind. At least that's what I think it means.

In the end we'll just have to wait and see how it goes. We're not talking about a life sentence here... or are we?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Paradox 56 for the pic.

No comments: