Monday, September 19, 2016

Mom's Back

We are happy to report that mom is back home and we are extremely pleased to have her. It's been a grueling week holding down the fort on my own, for all the obvious reasons as well as some extraneous ones. Anyone who has done the domestic thing will tell you that being at home is hard work, but toss in part-time employment at night, extracurricular activities, and a never-ending chain of real-man duties, and it gets pretty crazy. Sometimes I don't know how I get it done, but get it done I must. It's not as if we as parents have an option, which is a good thing because it forces us to just do it.

Either way, mom's back, so we can return to some semblance of normalcy. She had quite the journey home from Africa, and needless to say she's tired and jet-lagged, but at least she's safe and back with us. I worked on Thu, Fri, and Sat, and they had me slated to work on Sun, but I just couldn't pull it off. I had to be at home to pick up mom and get the kids to their various activities. I was able to track mom's flight online and it all went pretty smoothly, I think. She didn't have her phone because it wouldn't work in Africa, anyway, so the plan was for her to email us en route. I got updates and when she finally landed at Logan, I had a good sense of when she'd arrive back in New England.

We drove over to meet and the it was awesome to see her again. A week is a pretty long time without seeing or hearing from her. She was in a small village with no electricity so email and phone service were not options.

She had much to tell but that's a story for another time. For now we're just glad she's home and getting some much needed rest, not to mention some good home-cooked food.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Teruhide Tomori for the pic.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Happy to know that Mum is back safely! It was a pleasure to host her in our village in Kisumu Kenya