Monday, September 26, 2016

Winter Prep

I know it's still barely fall but the weather has gotten cooler fairly abruptly and it's a strong reminder that preparations are in order for the coming winter. This of course means staying warm during the frigid winter months, and as much as I like the cold, it does take some getting used to after summer. I'm not completely ready to give up on wearing shorts, though it's about that time.

Though I'm not sure why I'm so OCD about this, especially since there are plenty of other projects that deserve my attention, but my goal is to get the year 2 wood pile done, and I'd say I'm about 65% done. We have a pretty good sized pile of uncut logs leftover and I thought I would just leave them as is over the winter but it's looking like I'm going to have to cut a fair number of them to reach my goal. The other day I split what I thought to be a massive pile of wood but when I stacked said pile it barely made a dent in our supply. What a bummer.

On a brighter note, I cleaned the chimney so we're good to go with burning, and we are all set with kindling, which I powered through when mom was away. It makes an incredible mess in the basement so it's best to get it done before she can witness the chaos. We have a healthy pile of fat logs going, and I even managed to stack a couple of small loads of emergency wood which comes in handy on those miserable stormy nights when the wood box is empty and the last thing you want to do is go out to the woodpile, in the dark, and fill it up.

So all in all things aren't looking too bad considering that it's late September. I'm hoping to finish year 2 so I can direct my OCD at something else, but for now I'll keep attacking that pile of logs.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Rick Payette for the pic.

No comments: