Friday, September 9, 2016

Lead Guitar

Being the totally objective dad that I am, I think it's pretty cool that A is not only playing in the school jazz band, but she auditioned to play guitar and she won the part. Bear in mind that several kids (I assume) auditioned for the one guitar spot in the band and she nailed it. I wasn't sure how this was going to play out because she'd never auditioned for a musical part and I figured there are all sorts of rock stars at her school. In fact, one of the guys in the jazz band plays another instrument and is a shredding guitar player, but for some reason he doesn't play guitar in the band. Not quite sure why but I'm not going to question it.

I think she's pretty excited about it, and coupled with her rock Dojo stuff and her lessons with Tuck, she's getting pretty into the musical thing. I think her lessons are pretty theory oriented and that's exactly where she wants to be. She was explaining to me some of the theoretical stuff and it made my head spin, in a good way of course. It's really cool stuff and I think it makes it more interesting, even if it's way over my head.

One of the conditions of her playing in jazz band is that she has to be in the school orchestra as well. This was originally a bit of a thorn in her side because she doesn't really play an orchestra instrument, and I think she might have felt a little anxious about it all. However, the music teacher, MP, is very cool and managed to work her into the big band. I think she even likes it, which is what it's all about.

The nice thing about being in jazz band (actually there are a lot of nice things) is that she is learning about other genres of music that she might not have examined before, and it's a different experience from being in a rock band. Furthermore, it gives her a group of like-minded kids that she can jive with at school. We'll see how it goes but for the most part I see many positives. Then again, that's what every parent does, even though most of us are completely clueless as to what's going on in our kid's lives. Oh well, can't let that stop us, can we?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to K. Todd Storch for the pic.

No comments: