Saturday, December 13, 2008

Back in the Saddle

After a bout of some serious GI malaise, I'm finally feeling human again, and not a moment too soon. It's hard enough when you're feeling healthy, but add a bug that wipes you out and you're really struggling. The situation was compounded by the fact that mom had a particularly busy week and was not necessarily at liberty to take a huge amount of time off, so woe was me. Now that I'm feeling better, I ate up a storm last night with pizza and ice cream, both of which I could easily regret, or should I say, my family could regret as the gas bubble in my gut grows.

We had some really inclement weather yesterday, so much so that it made headline news. Apparently up to 1 million people in the Northeast were without power, and many of our neighbors were coping with it. We were lucky in that we never lost it for more than a second, and we could function relatively smoothly. In fact, the kids went to play at C's house for what was supposed to be a 2 hour playdate and they ended up staying there for 5 hours. School had been canceled because of the weather.

Under ordinary circumstances, this would be fine because it left me alone to deal with house issues, but G called and said he would come over with T and take a look at our barn. I couldn't pass up the chance to talk to him and pick his brain, and I figured the kids would be back by then, but the entire time they were here, the kids never came back. They were having fun with C, I know, but I felt bad for T. I owe her one, big time. It was nice to see G, however, though he's got a lot on his mind. He's a man who's searching for the answers, and that's never an easy path.

By noon it turned out to be a nice day, and while the kids were having fun, I managed to get a lot done around the house, mainly outside stuff dealing with the snow, which was brutal because it was wet and heavy. The problem was that it was supposed to freeze overnight and then the surfaces would be a disaster. Lots to do, a lot of muscle work, but the sun came out and it turned out to be a beautiful day.

My priority in my writing are twofold-to finish my WAHM piece, (did I mention Erika paid me? Stoked!), and then start working on pitch ideas. It's fun to think about, though daunting in practice. Mom and I have been talking a lot about screenplays, and it seems to crop up now and then. I still love the idea, but we don't work well together. Either way, we could do it, and we have the connections. In fact, I just heard from John and Jim on the same day, which is kind of interesting in retrospect.

And, of course, I still want to write the elusive novel, but that's the quintessential pie in the sky stuff that every aspiring writer gravitates to. So cliche.

Today is Saturday, and there are a million things to do in this area with the holidays and all, but we need to end up at the library at some point. Personally, I'd rather spend a couple of hours there than go to some big to-do surrounded by hundreds of people. I just love the Howe, but that's just nerdy me. I think the kids are not so keen on crowds, either.

We heard from M and K, our good friends, and that was nice. Ah, the beauty of the holidays, a time to connect with old friends.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: