Monday, December 1, 2008

First Real Snow, Seeing Friends, and Good Deeds


We got our first real snow with what I would consider to be consider to be real coverage, and I kept thinking to myself, I'm sure glad we have our snow tires on. The kids were thrilled to be out in the snow, and they motivated to get out in the white stuff. I still can't comprehend people who don't excited at a fresh new snowfall, but such is the life of a Flatlander. No matter, as long as we enjoy it, let them be glum.

The kids got the sleds and we have this new skateboard type thing that we actually found at the dump. It was pretty cool, actually, and the kids both got a huge kick out of it. Not unlike snowboarding, and could be a good stepping stone to it. I harbor a secret fantasy that they will both take to snowboarding, but one thing at a time here. Looking forward to doing some winter sports.
After sledding for a bit, we were all a bit winded, out of shape from not being active enough in the cool autumn weather. It's unfortunate that we can't do more hiking in the fall, but with hunting season and all, we'd just as soon stay out of the woods. Either way, we came inside and sat by the fire in our thermals and had some hot cocoa. You just can't beat those moments.

We saw our friends the Macks at the library and we are going to have to arrange a dinner date, there's no way around it. We just can't seem to get our act together, and I'm surprised they've been so patient with us, but that's where we lucked out in choosing good friends. I really like them, even if A breaks my balls all the time and gives me the third degree with reckless abandon. Sometimes I think she relishes the idea of putting me in my place. It's overwhelming at times, and the fact that she's so smart only aggravates the situation.

I finally found a copy of the Upper Valley Parents paper. It's a quarterly, which goes a long way in explaining why I couldn't find the thing. Glad I got it, though.

R came up with a nice idea for the holidays, something that will teach the kids some appreciation for all they have, hopefully. Not that they take life for granted, but when you really get down to it, we have it pretty good compared to a lot of people in the world. Our friends in the Wira lab have created a charity in Kenya to support education for children. Basically, I think they are trying to start a school, and on Friday they are having party to muster support. R's idea was to collect our loose change and give it to them. We did the Coinstar thing a few years ago, and pooled the money, including all the loose pennies that we save. We ended up with about $20 in pennies and the total amount was about $500. Not bad for a bunch of coins. Heck, that's four snow tires.

We all stuffed coin wrappers together, and then we all went to the bank and cashed them out. I think it's nice for the kids to get some idea of how the other half lives, even if they can't possibly comprehend what they are going through. Every little bit helps.

I have to run and make dinner. Lots of stuff going on, we are bailing out on finishing the barn, and that's a story in and of itself, but more later. We have bailed out on the River Valley Club, you couldn't pay me to go back there, and somehow we're going to have to excuse ourselves from the Quechee Club swim lessons. J is going to strangle me.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

We drove Balloon Gary's truck to the rec center and it was fun. The truck is massive, but a great way to go short distances.

No comments: