Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The New Year Approaches

So we've lost all of our snow, but from what I can gather, we're slated to get more. Isn't weather just like life, you never know what you'll get, but whatever you get, you've got to deal with it. Maybe there's a good lesson in there about not trying to control the outcome of our lives too much, which is painfully relevant to almost every parent out there.

Now that Christmas is over and the New Year is right around the corner, it is once again time to reflect on the year and see where we've been and where we're going. The current state of the world is a complete downer, and though we seem to be cruising along on our merry way, many credible people are saying that the end of the world is near. It's a bummer, and though we have to deal with reality in some way, I hope that they are wrong, at least partly. I know we've been irresponsible as a whole, and I think it's despicable how people have created this economic mess to further their near-sighted need for immediate gratification, but the reality is, when they crash and burn, they're going to take all of us down with them. It's a downer of a situation, even if these people get what they deserve. How can we be so irresponsible? All in the name of profit so they can spend.

Just one more thought on this-I find it hard to fathom how people who made lots of money are not only broke, but hugely in debt. Where's the logic in that? That spend-happy message hit home a little too effectively, and now the big correction is on it's way.

Okay, enough of the downer stuff. We had a great day, yesterday, though we're a little rusty on the school work after the 5 day break over the holidays. Even still, the kids were willing and sort of eager to jump back in the fray. I hate the fact that school work becomes something you loathe and want to avoid, because they both love to learn. Everyone loves to learn. I guess in the end it boils down to not wanting to deal with things, or more simply put, having to get off the couch. The easiest thing to do would be to avoid the conflict and let them play all day, but there is a huge lesson in having to deal with things you don't necessarily want to, and we don't want our kids to be unmotivated slugs.

C came over for lunch and hung out all day, and the kids had fun. She is such a nice kid, and I'm glad they're still good friends even after she's gone back to school. We were a little concerned about that because once you're in school, your circle of friends is there, but she still enjoys seeing our kids and she even brought them Christmas presents. We're also glad the kids have a good friend, even though it tends to verge on obsession at times.

We spoke to J on the phone yesterday and I regret that we don't see them more often, they really are good friends. They wanted to go sledding at the hill, but we were a little housebound because of several things I had started and hadn't finished, mainly cooking stuff (bread, bagels and casserole). Is wanted to speak to A and they had a lengthy conversation. I really think she and A are a good match, they operate on the same wavelength share many common qualities. I spoke with Is as well and she is quite the fine young lady, so mature, articulate and smart.

I also had to bail on Gary because not only did I have cooking on the burner, but C came over for lunch and I had to cook and clean. It was one of those days where I was kicking myself asking, what have I gotten myself into? I had bread rising, bagels rising, and I still needed to make lunch for the kids and clean up. By the time lunch had finished, I had a mountain of dishes to wash and a bad attitude to go along with it. I hate when that happens, but when I start to feel overwhelmed, I start making ass out of myself. I need to work on that one.

I still have more to tell but have to run since the kids are awake and I need to get the day started. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: