Sunday, December 21, 2008

Shifting Gears and the Week Ahead

Christmas week, it's hard to believe it's already here. Exciting stuff, the kids should have a fun time because I believe we are flush with stuff. I still need to get a few things for my wife, but for the most part I believe we are complete with the kids, and that's all that counts in the end. Yesterday mom got all her packages out in the mail, and I got my one. I've decided that this year I'm only giving gifts to D&T. My brother and my mom will get cards only, for a number of reasons that I won't go into.

I had a freak accident yesterday while I was shoveling snow, and I have a hard time even describing it. There was so much snow and I really had to put some backbone into it. Buried underneath, and hidden from my view, was a long wooden stake, about five feet long, that I managed to get under and fling upwards toward my face. The stick nailed me in the eye, shattering my glasses but fortunately doing no harm to my eye. I lost a few of the pieces, though, and my glasses are history. Bummer. I had to wear contacts, and managed to dig up an old pair to use for now. Not sure what I'm going to do since the old pair works and a new pair will be expensive. One more thing to deal with.

We were in Hanover yesterday and were pressed for time so we jetted through the library and were a bit rushed, but managed to score some books. The city was crowded for what we later realized was the Revels show, something we have yet to attend, but will probably one day. We saw our Waldorf friends who invited us to their Solstice celebration, but we're a little busy so we'll see.

I've decided that the time has come to shift gears in terms of my writing and revisit AC. I have been neglecting the site and perhaps am guilty of feeling too big for my own britches, but whatever be the case, I'm going to start submitting there again. I need to make some money, even if it's only pennies a day. Something's gotta give until I can write my queries and get some sort of response from the pubs. They keep blowing me off and I don't know if that means I'm finished or the ball is still rolling. A little feedback would be nice, but I can't be picky since I'm at their mercy. I hate when that happens, because it never seems to work out.

As far as my writer's block, I've got to pull my head out of my ass and just do it. I think too much, and consequently nothing gets done. We watched an interesting show last night, This American Life, and I'm not sure if I like it that much, but there was an interesting segment on a woman who wrote a screenplay at 63, and how she just did it. It made me want to write more in that direction, even though I have my issues with Hollywood.

Oh well. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: