Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Educational Victories and Gas

We're reconnecting with our homeschooling groove and it feels good. As much as we love holidays, it does throw a wrench in our schooling, which is something that takes a lot of blood, sweat and tears to develop. I am struggling to teach government and history, and search constantly for some good exercises that will not only make it interesting for A, but will give us some concrete proof of completion. The fact that history seems like something you find interesting later in life only complicates the issue, but we'll work on it, but I'm making too many assumptions and imposing my own personal experience (what else is new?). I found history painfully boring, but I think it's fascinating now. For all I know, A could love it. She really gravitated to Greek and Roman Mythology, so American History might speak to her.

But government? Come on, who likes that stuff? Either way, we're still searching. Health and Science are easy because there are so many resources geared towards kids, and the truth is, kids love sciene. It's just neat. We are looking at food and diet, and using that to segue into certain elements of bodily functions. It's fun and interesting, and I'm learning a lot, myself. Our kids teach me things all the time, it's pretty cool.

Speaking of bodily functions, I may have hit on a miracle cure for gas. I won't get into the gory details, but suffice it to say, mom has been most patient with me. I don't know if this is something I've had all my life (probably), but when I fall asleep, I experience flatulence of near-Biblical proportions. She doesn't complain, though she has every reason to. It makes me feel self-conscious and more than a little guilty. Somehow it never came up before.

I've tried many things and done tireless research on the subject. Suffice it to say, there is a huge amount of information, much of it thoroughly entertaining, about the subject. Either way, I tried a few things, none of which work. Part of the problem is that diet plays a huge role. We eat a lot of gassy foods, and we're not about change that. In other words, we limit our meat consumption and eat a lot of veggies and legumes, which in this case, are a wife's worse nightmare. It's just unfortunate (for my family, at least) that healthy foods seem to have a lot of fiber, but such is life.

I will say this, I'm struck by how most people we know eat very little in the way of vegetables. Salad is often the extent of it, and what good does that do?

Well, I may have found something that works, but I'll hold off on making any claims until I've given it more time. It's only been day or two, but I am optimistic. Happy days (or nights) are here again.

Funny how natural bodily functions can be such a source of entertainment, and angst.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

1 comment:

BookChook said...

You got me chuckling here. Follow this up or die!!!