Sunday, December 7, 2008

Food Issues, Writing, and Scaring the Cats

Last night when my wife and I were watching the Office (BTW, we love that show, though the 4th season is leaving us flat), which we get on Netflix, and I had to use the bathroom about five times. I've got some serious GI issues that are very reminiscent of the New York Chinatown food poisoning experience, which is gross because it boils down to eating someone's feces. It happens with regularity in a place like Chinatown NYC, but up here? It's not pleasant but not earth shattering, and R and I can deal with it. I'm just more concerned with the kids. We did go out to eat last night, but I'm not sure what the turnover time is between exposure and symptoms. Bummer.

The kids have been turning up the pressure on getting a tree, and I don't see why we couldn't get it together and get it this weekend. It's just down the road, all I'd have to do is fire up Gary's truck and head on over. Then we can spend the next few days decorating, which is always fun. I even had the ambitious idea of putting lights up in front of the house, but am not sure how I'd pull that off. I thought of lighting up some of the trees out front, but one thing at a time.

Speaking of Christmas, I think I'm finished with my cards. I got a bundle to send out, and most of them are ready to go, though there are a few that I'd like to write more substantial messages in, for good friends that I haven't spoken to in awhile. It's not easy writing letters, however.

BTW, I finally got paid for my writing for WAHM. Not bad, I'm pretty excited, and suddenly I'm an official freelance writer. Now if I could just get some gigs, life would be good. I think the first order of business is to finish what I want to submit to WAHM and then work on queries to other pubs. I haven't heard back from one, and am wondering how I should go about following up. The waiting part stinks the most.

I did have an idea for a book, however, and it stems from the chain of events involving the barn. The lean would be from a practical as well as spiritual POV, a sort of apostasy followed by the return and redemption of one's self. The book I think of is Zen and Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, one of my all time favorites.

When I was trying to go to bed last night, Dusty darted into the room and I had a heck of time trying to get her out. Ultimately, I ended up scaring the pants off her (do cats wear pants?) and not only did it take a lot longer than it should have, but it was an unpleasant experience for all. I should have kept my cool, but I panicked and consequently, made her panic. I felt bad and this morning it almost seemed like she was waiting for me and we made amends. I need to keep my cool, something I'm not always good at, but I'm working on it.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: