Thursday, May 20, 2010

Resolving Computer Problems

We had a computer issue that stemmed from my being so cheap, but what else is new? My Mentor would shake his head and say, "I told you so." Anyway, R and I both were having problems with our computers in that the power cords had become defective and were not charging. They sort of worked, but required 5-10 minutes of dancing with them before they kicked in, and then not always for long. We'd decided to get new ones, but official Mac hardware is expensive, not to mention hard to find for older models like ours. We toyed with the idea of getting a new computer for home, but we'll see about that.

Anyway, after a perfunctory degree of research, I bought two power cord knock-offs that were about half the price, and within a couple of weeks of having them, one of them ceased to work. Talk about a bummer. Best of all, the company has horrible customer service, and returning them will be a bear.

Faced with this dilemma, I came upon a solution. The Mac adapters can actually be taken apart and the pieces mixed and matched. I simply took exchanged the broken pieces with the functional ones and voila, we had one Mac adapter that worked fine. Coupled with one cheap one that worked, we were back in business. I let R use the nicer one and I took the cheapie, since I got us into this mess in the first place.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Spencer Ritenour for the pic.

No comments: