Friday, January 7, 2011

Chess and Skating at Occum Pond

We had a bit of a time conflict this past weekend because there were so many things going on. Chess was a must, but there was also the community breakfast, and then R had to a meeting at the hospital for iKODI, during which we would skate over at Occum Pond. The question became, should we split up and take two cars to meet later, or be organized and head out in one car.

We had to forsake the pancakes because it was too early and we could only do so much, but I like going, it really connects you with what’s going on in this community and opens doors to helping out. Plus, the kids didn’t get up until late, so we would not have made it, anyway. I could have gone by myself, but then I’d have to sneak out early, and at some point, you just have to take a step back.

The kids had a quick breakfast, and we headed over to chess. The turnout was a bit small, but the usual suspects were there. A&N enjoy it because there are treats and they get to have some cocoa, and they like to play chess. There is one boy who lives in town but I’d never really seen him around. He is a chess whiz, and he scares me. One of those really smart kids that impresses adults but may inspire insecure kids to be bullies. We all know one, and may have even grown up being one.

Anyway, I played him last time, and he was good, but his mom told him to go easy on me, and I beat him. This time around, I’d figured he wasn’t going to cut me any slack. The kid is good, and he has an incredible memory. We played a good game, and for the record, I beat him, but it wasn’t easy. It would be nice to get more people out to play chess, but we’ll have to work on that.

After chess, we bolted home and had to prepare for the road. I had to pack several things. First off, we had mucho library books to return, and I’d asked R to seek them out and pack them into a bag. Next I had to round up the ice skates, and then pack a lunch to eat on the road. We were going to eat at Boloco afterward, part of our regular routine.

We took mom over to her meeting, and then we went to the Pond. It was a beautiful day, dare I say perfect? It wasn’t too cold, the crowd was at first manageable, the ice was in good condition, and there was plenty of room to skate and get crazy. Plus, they provide unlimited free marshmallows to roast by the fire. Plus, soon after we got there, it started to lightly snow, and didn’t let up for the rest of the day. It was so cool.

We had a blast skating, and really got into playing hockey together. We don’t play serious organized hockey, but just play keep away with the puck. It is a great way to hone your skating skills because you have to stop and turn on a dime. N has always been a stellar skater, a hockey natural if you ask me, but A’s skating is usually a bit more pensive and cautious. Playing with the hockey sticks and puck really loosened her up and raised her skill level significantly. It was really nice to see.

Plus, A is skating faster, and I’ve noticed that she and I have a bit of a rivalry going. When we ski or skate or cross country ski, she always challenges me and wants to beat me. In the past, I always let the kids win, and in many instances they could beat me fair and square, but for other things I think we’re past being too accommodating. Plus, it’s good for them to know that they can’t win at everything, and to realize that competing with someone who can beat them only raises their skill level. The same is true for karate. As much as you don’t want to get in the ring with a black belt, they will push you to the next level.

Anyway, I don’t go as easy on them, and I think it makes A want to try that much harder. Believe me, when she sets her mind to something, she doesn’t let it go, and I know she will eventually beat me at all these things, but for now, I’ll make her work a little harder at it. She has to realize I have an almost 40 year advantage on her.

We skated for hours. There were these two black labs on the ice and they were hilarious. They would chase after the pucks (there are dozens of people playing hockey), grabbing it with their mouths and taking off. People were constantly chasing after them. When they didn’t have a puck in their mouths, you could see them obsessing over the ones sliding across the ice.

By the time we were done (actually it was me, the kids wanted to stay), I was exhausted. The pond is huge, and the ice is not groomed like an ice rink, so it takes more effort to skate on it. The size also makes for a good workout. Add some hockey to the mix, and we were tired and hungry by the time we climbed back into the car.

We met mom at work, went to the library to drop off our load of books, and then it was off to Boloco. They were so busy, preparing for some event at the college, so the food was a little compromised. I think they were making hundreds of burritos, so you can’t blame them, but for the first time, the food was not as stellar. The rice was undercooked, almost uncooked, and the burritos were somehow lacking in that “Je ne sais quoi.” Not the end of the world, I understand they were under the gun, just an observation. We still love that place.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Svilen Milev and Brain's Brain's for the pics.

No comments: