Monday, January 3, 2011

The Madness Of Being a Parent

I have to confess, my OCD gets the best of me and profoundly affects my approach to parenting. I over-think things way too much. However, I’m able (at least I think I’m able) to embrace this methodology in a clandestine manner, such that a lot of my thought processes happen mostly in my own head. In other words, I suffer in silence, sort of.

Sure, my neurosis rears its ugly head now and then, but what parent isn’t guilty of that? I mean, come on, parenting is hard, and what childhood would be complete without some long term scarring inflicted by mom and dad?

Anyway, the process of over-thinking things, and being manipulated by the media and the fear-mongering so-called experts, is that the modern parent goes way overboard in terms of what they feel they need to do for their kids. I see it everywhere we go, and for that matter, in my own way of being a dad. I think there is a burgeoning trend in the opposite direction, but for now, we are still firmly entrenched in the era of hyper-parenting, as evident by a recent article about crazy parenting trends that was brought to my attention.

Maybe we should all simply embrace our anxieties and neurosis and not worry about the adverse consequences to our kids. Heck, that’s the approach my parents took, and look what at what a mess I’ve become.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Dan Brady for the pic.

No comments: