Friday, January 7, 2011

English Muffins

I went to get bagels the other day and there was a sign saying that the Baker’s Studio, makers of Best Bagels, which in my opinion are the best bagels around here, was on vacation until the 17th of January. That’s almost three weeks off, when you include the holidays. I realize people need a break, but that seems a bit extreme. Then again, I should lighten up and embrace the Euro model for taking time off.

Whatever be the case, we were forced to buy Bagel Basement bagels, which I think are inferior, but not bad. It did inspire me to come up with some breakfast alternatives. The kids have been enjoying eggs a lot more, and since we get them from our next door neighbor, this is a good breakfast. They are into omelettes and farmer’s breakfast, which is a bit of a chore to make, but I’m glad they are eating a hearty meal.

I also decided to try making English muffins using our King Arthur whole wheat cookbook, which happens to be one of our favorites. The muffins weren’t bad, not life altering, but decent, and fairly easy to make. They were on the small side, but looked kind of cool (dare I say cute?) and it would be easy enough to make a batch and just freeze them. It is difficult, however, to match the eating pleasure of a good, starchy everything bagel, but we must learn to adapt.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to RC for the pic.

No comments: