Friday, January 21, 2011

Karate Revelation

It dawned on me that I’ve got to get a little more serious about karate, especially with a black belt test looming on the horizon. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have a lot of free time, but I think to move it to the next level and really begin the process of becoming an ultimate fighting machine, something needs to change. It will, of course, entail more pain and suffering, but such is the life of a real-man-in-training.

The idea of holding an extra class came about, one where only the higher belts would meet and go over the necessary katas and spar amongst each other. My first thought was that I don’t want to go up against the black belts, but then I realized the folly of my thinking, because I need to get in the ring with guys who can annihilate me. That’s the only way to progress as a fighter.

I also need to spend more time at home practicing. I’d really like to get a punching bag, I think it would really help out my techniques, but R might not be so keen on another piece of equipment in the house. I’ll work on that one. I also need to work on conditioning, because in addition to being out of shape, I need to work on my several aspects of my technique, and believe me, when you’re sparring with the sensei and fearing for your life, you need all the endurance you can get.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Sigurd Decroos for the pic.

No comments: