Thursday, January 13, 2011

Return of the Grateful Dumpling

We were approached by the JM of community connections to see if we’d be interested in donating some dumplings to their show. For the past few years they have showcased local young artists to perform or display their artwork at the community hall. We went last year and the performers were fantastic and it was a lot of fun. They had a dance afterward, and we all had a wonderful time.

This year, we’re actually going to be involved, which meant dusting off all of our equipment and making dumplings. More accurately, it meant I was going to have to get my hands dirty. Being out of practice and all, naturally I put it off, but as the week progressed, I began to sweat at the realization that time was running out and the clock was ticking.

So I started yesterday, making some of them, and it wasn’t so bad. It helped that I’d frozen some of the fillings, though nothing beats freshly made stuff, but you have to do what you have to do. I’m done with the black bean, and about 25% finished with the beef, and now all I have to do is make the chicken, which will be a lot, but at least some it’s done. That’s a big step. It helps that we can not only cook them there, but won’t have to sit there and try to sell them.

Once again, the Grateful Dumpling rides again. Thanks for reading, and thanks to lekyu for the pic.

No comments: