Thursday, January 13, 2011

More Snow

We got our second big snowfall of the Winter, which when you really think about it, is not unusual for Vermont. If anything (and I’m not complaining here), I still think we could use more, but for now, I’ll take it.

The snow just kept coming down all day, and R had to brave the roads, much to our consternation, because there were things that needed to be attended to at work. We waited for KB to show up and plow, and until that time, I spent about three hours shovelling snow to clear the path to the wood and to make room for R to drive if she had to. It would have been risky, but she could have pulled it off.

The snow was about two feet thick, and a bear to shovel, and it kept coming down. By the time I finished and had cleared the cars off, there was another couple inches that had gathered. I went in for a bit to dry off, and KB came and plowed, enabling R to go to work. After she’d left, I went back out to do some final clearing, and let me tell you, I was pooped.

I was ready to head back inside when N appeared in his snow gear, ready to play. Now this always happens to me: I go outside in the AM to do some work and by the time N has eaten, brushed his teeth and gotten dressed, he’s ready to rock and roll just as I’m ready to pass out. Now it would have been perfectly reasonable to just tell him I was done and going inside, but it would have bummed him out, and that would have bummed me out.

So when he asked me if I was going to stay outside longer, I told him of course I was, and we set about making a snow fortress that put Fort Knox to shame. It was a lot of fun, and I have to admit, I’m really glad I hung out with him. In a lot of ways, he’s not a demanding kid, and I feel like when he expresses interest in something, it’s a good thing to be supportive. Plus, we always have a lot of fun.

We did make a pretty amazing snow fortress, complete with trails, secret spy holes, and even furniture. How cool is that? By the time I went in, N was satisfied with our effort, and I was allowed to go inside. No rest for the weary, as any parent knows, because there were lunches that needed to be made, but at least it was warm and dry inside.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: