Sunday, August 21, 2011

Happy Birthday to Us

In honor of our special day, R and I vowed not to make dumplings or do anything dumpling related . This, of course, entailed cramming in dumpling work on the days preceding, but what are you going to do? We need more things to whine about.

Either way, we are going to celebrate our birthdays up in Stowe. We've never been there, and figure a couple of days up there should be fun, and easy to manage. Not too much to pack, though we're going to bring the kid's bikes and our Rollerblades.

For our pre-birthday celebration, we had a nice supper with grilled steaks and local corn on the cob. I'm thinking we need a bigger BBQ because we couldn't grill the corn, it was too big. Also, our tiny grill makes it hard to cook because I have to lean over the whole time. Complain, complain, is that all I ever do? Just wanted to mention that the local corn has been really good.

The kids were excited about the meal, we cooked rib-eye steaks, though we couldn't score them from Cloudland, whose meat we love. I wanted to get filets, but man were they expensive. We're talking $26/lb. Yikes. Cloudland's are cheaper, too, but it's such a drive to get out there. Bad planning on my part, I could have gotten them when I get the ground beef, but you can't plan for everything. I did learn that Cobb Hill has steak, as well, though I've never tried them.

After supper, we had brownies with whipped cream and strawberry pie, as well as toasted marshmallows with chocolate. How can you beat that.

Now we're off to Stowe for a night or two, back in time to be there for the dreaded market. We're slaves to capitalism over here.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Michaela Maslarska for the pic.

No comments: