Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Seeing Old Friends

My old friend from LA, GL and his wife O, stopped by last week for a short visit, and it was really nice seeing him. I hadn’t spoken to the guy in years, and out of the blue I got an email from him saying he was going to be passing through on his way from Maine to Boston. My first thought was, what does he need? I had visions of him looking for a place to stay and was prepared to broach the subject when he mentioned they only had about an hour and then had to be on their way. This simplified things and made me realize what a cynic I am.

He came during our kid’s clown camp, so he didn’t get to meet them, but it was nice chatting and hanging out. He looks great, and he and his wife seem happy and doing well, though it’s hard to imagine anyone being happy in LA. GL was one of my best friends in college, and he was initially buddies with my brother before he came to his senses and realized what a derelict my brother really is. In a lot of ways he was like the brother I never had, and we kept in touch when I first left LA, but at some point we went in our separate directions. Life has a way of doing that.

I’m hoping we’ll keep in touch, but that’s up to me, as well, so we’ll make it happen, right?

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: