Thursday, August 18, 2011

Weekend in the Big City, Our Dumpling Groove, and Hooked on UF

We had a nice weekend, getting our kicks in before the bad weather took over, not that we’re complaining. It’s been a hot, dry Summer, and we need the rain. We made our regular trek into the big city (i.e., Hanover) and hung out at the library while R tied up some loose ends at work. We saw our good friend (former?) AM and she completely blew us off, just like at the market. I don’t know if I mentioned this, but she came to the market and walked right past us several times, so I’m guessing she’s making a statement.

I haven’t seen much of AM, not that I’m complaining because she is a difficult person who happens to have wonderful children, and a really cool spouse. They are orbiting in their own circles which do not happen to overlap with ours. The fact that we don’t speak makes it awkward on those rare occasions when we do cross paths, but what are you going to do?

After the library, we were all set to have supper at Boloco when we did an abrupt shift and opted for pizza, instead. The Brick and Brew has killer pizza, and the kids were transfixed on the big screen TV that was broadcasting NASCAR. I have to confess, I don’t like eating or drinking at places with TVs, it just ruins any sort of personal interaction. It makes life easier because you have license to ignore each other, which I personally think is a big problem in our world today, but let’s not get started.

Over the weekend we’ve been tweaking our new approach to making dumplings, and so far, so good. The key for me (since I do most of the making) is to space the stuff out and get it done as early as possible. With this in mind, I have to make the dumplings over several days, and start as early in the AM as possible. The fillings can be made on Wed, Thu, and Fri, at any time, really. They store well in the fridge. The making of the dumplings occurs on Fri, Sat, and Sun. Thu or Fri, usually not both, can be long days, but not horrible. I’ve found it works well if I can get as much done as possible before the weekend, so that come Sat, our workload is lighter and we can plan to do things together, or I can continue my real-man training around the house. We’ve been able to stop making dumplings by noon. The worst thing is having dumplings on your mind late in the day, that’s when I feel the most despair.

Maybe our new plan will make doing dumplings next year more plausible, but let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves. Since the weather was nice, I was able to get a fair amount down on the house. I managed to get pretty far on finishing the entry, and the wood is moving along. I need to get back on the roof to finish that flashing and repair clapboards, though I had a brilliant idea - paint the boards before I nail them in. Painting on the roof is hard.

At some point the weather turned and it looked like we were going to get rain, but again, we need it. I figured UF would be cancelled, but the funny thing is, the weather looked threatening, but the rain never really came. R even did laundry, and I worked in the yard. Even by the time UF was to start, it looked ominous, but only a few drops here and there. We were excited, because that meant UF, and sure enough, a big crew was out there. The cool drizzle made for a much more enjoyable experience, and we had a blast. Sure, it rained, but they said they play in thunderstorms. Yikes!

We really caught a break with the weather, because just as we got home from UF, the deluge came, and it’s been raining ever since. You have to appreciate timing like that.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: