Friday, January 18, 2013

Becoming a Coach

You know, I still don’t feel like a coach, even though I wear the jacket. Yes, I’ve become official, they gave me a coaches jacket, and I’m not quite sure what to make of it. On the one hand, I guess I’m in the club and get to dress like the real men on the ice. On the other hand, I don’t think of myself in that light, and really only set out to help. I had no aspirations to be a coach, and here I am.

The problem is, the other guys are real hockey players who know the drill and talk the talk. When I try to walk the walk, not only do I flail, but I feel a little pretentious. Maybe I year or two I’ll grow into the role, but for now, I feel a little funny. Then again, I always get neurotic about this stuff, even though nobody really cares, nor should they.

It’s all part of the journey to becoming a real man, right? Like a fish out of water, you have to embrace the unfamiliar and grow from the experience. Either that, or go out and gut a deer.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to mhaithaca for the pic.

No comments: