Saturday, January 5, 2013

Happy New Year, Part 2

I’m not much of a fan of celebrating the new year, but I will say this, it’s much nicer with snow on the ground, and we’ve got lots of it. Also, as I’ve mentioned, I’m not going to be as cynical about new year’s resolutions, and I’ve got a few that I won’t bother you with. I’ll just keep them to myself for now.

In the meantime, we had a nice new year’s day, and sort of did the things we wanted to do the night before. We woke up and I made farmer’s breakfast, which is a nice break from our usual celebratory breakfast of pancakes. Don’t get me wrong, we love pancakes, but have them a lot on weekends, especially before hockey games. We hung out by the fire and even did necessary chores. SH even showed up to work on the barn, but more on that later. I went to the store, which was thankfully open, to get some stuff for supper, and noticed that Stella’s was open, so we decided to go there for lunch. We strapped on our XC skis and headed on over. It was a beautiful, albeit chilly day, and skiing over is a great way to have a meal in town because you get to work off all those calories, especially after the chocolate cream pie, which is a must. We also saw friends over in town, including HH.

The ski back was fun, it felt good to be outside, and then we were scheduled to have a hockey practice, but we opted out. It was too early, and we were still tired from a late night. We chilled out, the kids went outside and worked on their snow tunnels, and by the afternoon I got working on supper. Now normally on a special occasion like this, we would have roast beef or turkey, or maybe salmon. All good things.

After taking a house poll, however, the general consensus was that everyone wanted tacos. Sounds good to me. In the past, we used to make ground beef tacos, and let me tell you, they are a family favorite. In our quest to lead healthier lives, we are cutting back on red meat, so we’ve been eating more fish/tofu tacos, which are amazing, as well. For the record, we also do chicken tacos. Either way, the request was made that we make an exception for new year’s day, so we made beef and fish tacos. The beauty of tacos is that it’s a lot of fun to assemble them.

We had a glorious new year’s feast, followed by chocolate mousse and fudge cake from Lou’s, then settled down to watch a movie. My kind of evening.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to 2012bea for the pic.

No comments: