Saturday, January 5, 2013

Maintaining Contact

If you can believe this, I’ve been in fairly regular contact with my mom, and it’s all pretty much been initiated by me. I’ve even contacted my brother, which is even more amazing, but more on that later. A couple of months back I called my mom, after I’d heard there were big fires in an area where she lived. She gave her usual sarcastic response upon hearing my voice, but all in all, it was fairly civil. Then, when I called her back a couple of weeks later, the sarcasm started to wane, which I for one appreciated.

There are moments when she turns the screw a little and is almost begging for a fight, but part of the responsibility for keepings things convivial is on my end, and I didn’t bite. By the new year, we’d spoken half a dozen times, and by the end it was downright pleasant. She even sent us a Christmas card with a Macy’s card attached. How can you beat that?

I have to confess, I’d like to be on better terms with my mom, and I’d like for her to get to know her grandkids better. I am extremely wary because things are never that simple with her, but sometimes you just have to take what you can get and make the most of it. I think things in her life are going fine, she is alone, but she has a large circle of friends and is pretty active.

She said she wants us to come out there to visit, and at the very least, she wants me to come out alone and take care of my stuff that is still in her house. That includes two surfboards. I know that if we all go out there, things will get dramatic and probably a bit ugly, but maybe as an adult you just have to face the music. I’d like to think that her attacks don’t bother me, but they do. She also wants the kids to meet their cousin, and uncle (i.e., my brother).

Now my brother is a whole other story. I won’t get too into it, but let’s just say that beneath the smooth and charming exterior is a scheming individual with pathological tendencies. Trust me when I tell you that things are not as they seem.

Oh well, maybe it’s time to face the music. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to MatthewBogart for the pic.

No comments: