Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Contractor Ready

We’re on a fifth or sixth contractor, I can’t even keep track, but we do have someone working on the barn, and things are moving ahead. My friend of karate has stepped and started work again on the barn. He works another job, but it’s away to earn extra cash on the weekends. It works out well because a lot of the hard stuff has been dealt with, including plumbing and electrical, so all he can come in and finish things up. Plus, it’s a good experience for him to be in charge.

Thus far, he’s insulated the walls and is working on the ceiling. He came up with a good idea for how to do it. He’s going to nail in strapping, lay 1inch blueboard over it, then overlay 6inch fiberglass. The beauty of this is that gives us the airflow we need from the soffit through to the ridge vent, and also adds an extra layer of insulation to reinforce the fiberglass, which is not an efficient insulator. Listen to me, like I know what I’m talking about.

Since he works the weekends, he give me lists of supplies he needs that I can pick up or order during the week and have it waiting for him come Sat/Sun. He is also local, so we share common friends and acquaintances, which I think adds to his credibility. He’s a good kid, and I trust him.

So far so good, we’ll see how far we can get by spring. Hopefully this might be the summer we finish this thing up.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to USACEpublicaffairs for the pic.

No comments: