Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Karate Test

I haven’t been going to karate as much as I should have, for a number of reasons. Sometimes you just lose steam, but also we’ve been so busy that it’s hard to get there. A and N have hockey practice that day, and when it’s over, I have to get them home, heat up supper that I’d made earlier in the day, and then get over to karate. Even then, I am always late. I get to class just as they’re doing warm up exercises.

I told them it was going to be hard for me to make it, so they understand to some degree, but I still feel a little bad. I went last week because there was a test, and it’s good to be there for testing because they need a higher belt to spar with. Had I not gone, the alternative would have been to spar Master H, which is a bit daunting.

I was a little pensive about sparring the younger guys, because not only are they younger, faster, and in better shape, but they’re really good. Definitely not ones to be taken lightly, i.e., I wasn’t going up against 6th graders anymore. I thought that maybe I could slide by without fighting, but no such luck. It was a test, after all, so I had to gear up and get in the ring.

I’m happy to report that it wasn’t so bad. I did okay, and I might even go as far as to say that I won both bouts, scoring some good blows when I needed to. I love when that happens.

Now I can rest easy until the next class, when we begin the road to prepare for the big black belt test, which will include me. This should be good.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Mariano Moreyra for the pic.

No comments: