Friday, January 18, 2013

Keeping it on the DL

DL meaning down-low, as I’ve learned. Now I’m old and square, but being around young people all the time tunes you into what is hip and contemporary. Not that I would employ their expressions for fear of making a fool of myself, but some of them seem to stick. Keeping it on the DL is one from more than 10 years ago, and basically means keeping it quiet and low key. I remember in New York everyone was saying that, and I had no idea what they were talking about at first. Now here I am, using the actual expression.

Either way, we’ve been under a bit of strain with so much of our time devoted to hockey. It wouldn’t be as bad if we were all engaged, but since some of us are not, it has created a small rift. Truth be told, it’s important to maintain some perspective, and we have been a bit too immersed in it all to the point where even I am weary. The point is, some of us are tired of hearing about hockey, and I can’t say I disagree. The problem is, hockey just requires some level of unhealthy dedication, even the most ardent support can agree with this.

So, with this in mind, I’ve decided to keep all things regarding hockey on the DL, at least verbally. I'll continue to talk profusely about it on this blog. Even still, keeping it quiet is not easy when you’re as immersed as we are, with all/most of us playing, and me being a slave to the sport, but it’s doable. As if we had a choice. We don’t mind if hockey involves all of us spending quality time together as a family, like going to a Dartmouth game, but when it involves time apart, especially weekends, then we have a problem.

The best way to make this all possible is to keep it as low key as possible, and find that elusive angle that will make everyone happy. Still searching for it, but for now, you didn’t hear anything from me.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Raquel Camargo for the pic.

No comments: