Thursday, January 3, 2013

Happy New Year, Part 1

Happy new year to everyone, hope all is well in your neck of the woods. We had a nice and somewhat spontaneous new year’s eve, and as we all know, spontaneity always throws us for a loop. Usually we have social options which we generally opt out of in favor of spending a quiet new year’s eve at home, eating junk food and watching a movie, or playing a game. I enjoy it that way but realize it’s not a fun and glamorous option. Then again, who needs fun and glamor when you live in a small town.

For the past five years we’ve been invited to MK’s new year’s bash, and have politely declined because let’s face it, we’re just not party people. I feel bad, it’s so nice of her to think of us, and she’s a super nice person not to mention a pillar of the community, but I’ve gotten too old and boring for parties, and the kids are too young to stay out so late. Sure, we could leave early, but when does that ever happen?

That day N and I were returning home from skiing and saw our good friend HH who mentioned that not only were she and her mate going to the party, but that it was her daughter A’s birthday, and that she’d love to see A. Now if A had been in the car, she would have lobbied hard to attend, but she was chilling out at home after a brutal hockey weekend, so it was just N and I. N, like myself, was not as thrilled at the prospect, and even said not to tell A.

Well, it turns out that that was not even necessary, because at some point in the day, the phone rang and it was our good friends the S’s who wanted to invite us to another new year’s bash, though this was more of a day gig. Now this got to be a little awkward because now we were being invited to a party by someone other than the host, whom we were friends with, but had not been invited by. It was also one of those situations where they initially invited the kids (their daughter is buddies with A) but then said, “Of course, you’re invited, too.”

Hmm, what to do.

As I mentioned, we are friends with the host, so I don’t doubt that we could have gone, but it was still a little weird. Plus, they have a pretty strong social network, so we were “sort of” outsiders. Either way, R and I were a little pensive, but the kids were all for it. So this is what we did. I took the kids over there and hung out for a few minutes exchanging pleasantries, then headed out. The plan was for the kids to play all day, then have some supper and probably play Wii. Standard M.O. for the modern child.

R had to attend to some work/personal stuff, and I went on a mission to return all my Christmas stuff that didn’t work out. That’s a story in itself, but suffice it to say that I succeeded in about 90% of it. After my errands, R and I had a bite to eat, then I went over to get A&N, which is never a simple thing because you have to stay and chat with friends. I felt like we were intruding a little, but there were ulterior motives. Their daughter was the oldest one there, so inviting A helped in that area, and it made life easier for the adults because they could get some babysitting from A and E while they sat around and ate and had cocktails. So I guess I shouldn’t feel that guilty.

Now the kids didn’t want to leave, but were very good about getting ready when I asked. I love when that happens, it makes me proud of them. The reality is, they just wanted to stay so they could all play Wii, which I think is a complete joke, but that’s why I’m a big boring dad. Plus, it was clear that the group was mainly young kids whom neither N nor A can really relate to. It’s the video games that they wanted to play.

I sat and talked with the adults for a bit, but again, it was a little awkward, then finally dragged the kids back home around 7:30. That gave us time to hang out and have some snacks. We were originally going to make supper, eat junk food, and watch a movie, but as you can imagine, that plan fell through. Instead we had a snack and listened to the Dartmouth hockey game streaming live on the Web. That’s what everyone wanted to do.

The kids were a little stressed out, maybe over-stimulated, something I naturally attribute to video games. It was a bit of a battle getting them in bed, but they finally went to sleep, and R and I could ring in the new year like we usually do, asleep in bed.

Thus ends 2012, and we have 2013 to look forward to. I’ve decided to be less cynical about the whole resolution thing. In the past, I always thought it was misguided to look at the New Year’s Day to start something new because it’s just another day, right? Well, it’s just as good as any day to start something new, isn’t it?

Either way, happy new year to all, and thanks for reading, and thanks to joli sourire. (OFF) for the pic.

No comments: