Friday, October 25, 2013

Putting On Some Trim

The siding is coming along nicely, and I would say that I’m about 75% done, but that’s only the siding. There are the dormers to consider, as well as the trim, which will be a fairly big job, but the siding is the big one.

Speaking of trim, I got loads of advice from my Mentor and KB. The first big decision (no decisions, please!) was what color. We are going with white because it’s safe and looks good, but even that wasn’t an easy decision. Now I’ve learned that trim is one of those things that are important to the look of house, but you never pay attention or notice it, at least until you start to put it on. Then you see the difference, and the difference is huge.

I wanted just to get a sense of what it would look like but didn’t want to get too distracted from the more important job at hand, i.e., the siding, so I just put a little up, and it looks nice. The beautiful thing about trim is that it also hides the imperfections in the siding, mainly where it meets windows and doors. I realize people go without the trim and it’s one more step, but I like the way it looks, and again, it’s about hiding those mistakes. I’m a framer, not a cabinet maker.

Now that I have a little trim, I can go back and get that darn siding on. My goal is to get it all on before it gets too cold, and the clock is ticking, so if you’ll excuse me, I need to put up some trim, or was it siding?


Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: