Wednesday, October 2, 2013

50% Done... and More

In a good example of what you can get done if you just set your mind to it (either that or you have the time), I’ve finished about 50% of the siding on the barn. Sure, if you factor in the dormers, I’m below 50%, but let me enjoy the illusion of progress.

I will say this, the structure does look a lot nicer with siding than simply house wrap. It makes it look like it’s protected from the elements and like progress is really being made. Best of all, I get to cement my real-man in training status as waves of friends and neighbors stop by and comment on how good the barn looks and how much more manly I look these days in a tank top. Go figure.

I originally ordered 1000 ft of siding thinking that would cover half, and I was close in the calculation. My original math came to about 2000 linear feet, and with 1000 feet, I’ve covered one face, on gable end, and about 1/5 of the other gable end. With that in mind, I need to order more shiplap.

Once both gable ends are done, which I’m hoping to complete in the next week, then it’s just one more face and we are good to go for the winter, I think. The dormers will be a bit more tricky because it involves working on the roof, but let’s worry about that when the time comes.

I definitely have a deadline to meet in that I would like to get this done before it gets really cold, or starts to snow, whichever comes first. In the meantime, I’ll relish the fact that something is actually getting done on this barn.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: