Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Things Work Out... Sort Of

We had this crazy Friday all planned out a week or two back, and it sort of worked out, but sort of didn’t. A&N had to finish their movie for the CATV Halloween-A-Thon before they headed off to camp, because right after camp, they were off on another adventure, and with hockey starting, there was little time. I don’t know if I mentioned this, but big kudos to the kids for finishing the movie, especially A, for writing the script, organizing the cast and crew, and directing the movie in a matter of days. It was really incredible what they pulled off.

With time of the essence, at one point we were debating if they should just skip the movie contest, which would have been disappointing. A, however, decided that it was not to be, and was determined to get it done. Again, she did an amazing job of taking the reigns and making it happen. With all the scripting and filming done, all that was left was to edit, and she had one day to do it. The reason for this was because we were heading off to Ohio on the next week, and the studio is not open over the weekend. That left Friday to get all the editing and sound mixing done.

To complicate the matter (why are there always complications?), mom was away and we had arranged for our friends C&AE to come over and hang out, long before the need to edit came about. I had to come up with a plan. I called them the evening before to explain the situation, which was basically that A was going to spend the day at the studio editing, but N would be home and their kids could come over. I would take A over to the studio in the AM when they opened then come back to watch the kids. At some point DE would get them, and I could take N over to the studio to help A finish the movie. She would basically spend the day there.

Meanwhile, I needed to keep working on the barn and the wood pile, not to mention the yard and my glorious freelance writing career. Throw in a little hockey scheduling and you can see where this is going. The irony of all this is that in having their friends over, I was slated to get more work done because I was going to be at home. If it were just A&N, I would spend the day in WRJ, getting nothing done around the house.

Anyway, I came up with a plan and shared with DE, but his thinking was that it was more of a playdate, and that they could just do it another time. I learned this that morning. I felt bad, I really was prepared to make this work, but this new development did make things a little simpler. With no social obligations, I implemented plan B, which entailed making lunches for the kids, packing up the car with N’s skate park stuff, and heading over to CATV. This, however, meant I was not going to have the day to work on the barn. Darn!

We were the only ones there, so A got to choose a computer and get to work. She and N started downloading and editing while I ran off and ran errands, like dropping off the recycling and getting food. I left the food with them, so by the time I returned, it was past noon and they had eaten. Since editing is mostly a one-person gig, I then took N over to the skate park while A finished with the movie. N had a blast, as usual, at the park, and some of his skate buddies even showed up, and I sat and read and tried to write. Around 2:00 we went to get A, who was tying up the loose ends.

I am still amazed she got it all done so quickly, and we got to watch the final product, which was really cool. We left a copy for BF to burn, and then headed home, stopping at Fore-U for some ice cream since the season is coming to an end. We stopped at the library on the way home so the kids could see their buddies, and I went home to get about 45 minutes of work on the barn before I had to go and get the kids.

We then came home and I made supper before they watched some movies and we all went to bed.

Quite a day, wouldn’t you say? Then again, we wouldn’t want it any other way, would we?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to 3D Film Factory for the pic.

No comments: