Wednesday, September 17, 2014

First Fire

We built the first fire of the year, and it seems earlier than usual, but I don't really keep track of when we start. The paper said it's been an unusually cool summer and fall, affecting local farmers. I've felt that the heat wasn't that brutal this year, and was glad for it, though when it gets cold so early, you sort of feel like summer ended too soon. You just can't please some people, can you?

We've been cold in the house for the past few days, and I thought it might be time. There was some preparation to be done, however, and I had to squeeze it in yesterday between my brutal hockey meeting in Burlington and UF. With little time to spare, I got home and sprung into action. First I had to sweep the chimney, then clean out the soot. I then cleaned out the stove pipe and both wood boxes, subsequently filling them with wood.

This morning I loaded the stove and burned some logs. The heat feels good, though part of me still thinks we could wait a little. I'll discuss it with the family, but at least we're not cold.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to gfs for the pic.

No comments: