Monday, September 22, 2014

Sweating it Out

We've been fairly active this summer and going into fall, and I have to say, I'm enjoying it. I'm not a runner (I just play one on TV), but I think we've been sweating it out in other areas. During the hockey season we're on the ice and burning tons of calories, but oddly enough, in summer there are fewer organized opportunities. How crazy is that? We can go for walks and leisurely bike rides, and don't get me wrong, those are great opportunities to get the blood flowing, but how often do you really work yourself to the point where you're sweating bullets and think you might pass out? Again, hockey is good for that.

I've found that UF is also a good opportunity, but you have to take some initiative. You can play UF and not move around very much, as long as you can catch and throw the disc. A full sprint is not required, but you can do it to make things more interesting, which personally I prefer. Also, it creates opportunities, both offensively and defensively, during the game.

The other area where we've been working up a sweat is on our bikes. N and I have been trail riding at least twice a week, sometimes three times. We would go every day if it was plausible, which it is not, but maybe one day. I am really stoked that N is so excited about riding, because truth be told, it ain't easy. The uphill climbs are challenging, and I find myself sweating and wheezing all the way. N takes it no problem, and he's riding a fairly mediocre bike. I think one day in the near future we will upgrade him to a nicer bike, and I think he'll notice the difference, not that he's complaining. He never complains.

Between riding, UF, and maintaining the house and yard, I think it's been a very active summer, and I'm glad for it. Being active definitely makes me feel better, and that's what life is all about, right? I notice people around me who sustain injuries and I can't help but think that a sedentary life makes you more prone to hurting yourself, unless of course you avoid it all by never getting off the couch. The curse of TV.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Ilan Shacham for the pic.

No comments: