Thursday, February 4, 2016

No Thank You

Now that we are deep into winter, dare I say on the downward slide, spring is looming on the horizon and that means many things, including the big decision about doing the farmers market. We just received the application in the mail. Personally, and I think I speak for this entire household, this is a no brainer - no thank you! I have zero inclination to do the market again, at least not at this juncture in my life. We have talked it over and the feeling is shared by all of us. Then again, we feel this way every year. In years past we've submitted the application late because we ruminate back and forth over whether or not to do it, and every year we hear the calling of capitalism. Hopefully this year will be different.

Truth be told, I really don't think it's worth it. The amount of work is enormous, and it really takes up your entire summer. Plus, we always get slammed with bad weather in June, and the market has been dropping off each year. This is not just my imagination, when I've spoken with other vendors, they agree that the crowds have gotten smaller each year. I think people are suffering from farmer's market fatigue.

Plus, when you do the math, it doesn't completely add up. I used to think the college campus was an ideal environment to sell prepared food, but it's not necessarily the case. The students are required to buy a meal plan, and the college really sticks it to them because it is a for-profit entity. The food service is there to make money, and it seems like exploitation to me. Not only do they pay an arm and a leg for tuition, but on top of that, they have to pay top dollar for their meals, and believe me, the food on campus is expensive. Whatever be the case, why would you pay for food at the farmer's market when you're getting stuck with an outrageous food bill? I for one would eat every meal on campus.

I could carry on and on about this, but in the end, my hearts just not in it. I've reached an age when I need to start listening to that voice more often. We'll see where it goes.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Chris Haines for the pic.

No comments: