Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day/Vacation Day

As luck would have it, we are taking off on our Big Trip on probably the biggest election day of that past century. Luckily, we'll be able to cast our vote before we take off, but it's going to be tight, it always is, and we're going to try to squeeze in our vote. But we've got to, and we will.

I wanted to maintain a blog on our trip and am going to try my best, but it's never easy, especially with kids around needing your attention, but I love the idea. We've been fairly slack in terms of preparing for this trip, and here I am, the morning of our departure and I haven't finished packing. Ruth is taking care of the kids' necessities, which she does so well, and I'm dealing with the entertainment.

It's been a bit of a scramble this past week, and I haven't been able to do everything I'd wanted to, but got to a fair amount. In the past I would have been rendered impotent by the sheer volume of things I had to do, but found great satisfaction in the simple process of just doing it, and subsequently getting it done. We actually managed to pull off most of it, and now I feel much better.

It kind of gets down to the issue of doing things or fretting about them, and a large reason why we travel. Let me be clear, traveling is hard, it takes a lot out of you and is challenging on a daily basis. But what you get out of it is immeasurable, especially for the children, and as I've mentioned in the past, they grow so much from the experience. Ruth and I are believers that the world is a wonderful place, worth exploring, and it begins when you're young.

So here's our itinerary for the day, which needless to say gives me a lot of anxiety, but the only way to deal. We've got to finish packing, vote, get the house in order and then take the bus down to Boston. Our plane leaves at 3:30, first to Philly, then to Madrid. We'll be wiped out, but have four days to acclimate and then off to Rome for five days, then back home. That's the extent of what I know, the rest is where the adventure begins.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: