Monday, November 3, 2008

Good Signs

Not to get too superstitious, but sometimes you just gotta embrace the bones when they come your way. I was kicking myself over the fact that we'd neglected to get flu shots, and though there are more than a few people who have issues over them, I wanted to get them before our big trip over the Atlantic. Planes are just cess pools for germs, and as I've mentioned in the past, the flu scares me. I knew DHMC was giving flu shots but didn't recall when, and lo and behold I found that they were having some big flu clinic on Sunday at the hospital. It just so happens that Ruth had to do some work and I needed to go to the library and the Coop to get some last minute things. Serendipity was shining down upon us.

And the flu clinic was a party. There were so many people there, we saw friends and acquaintances, and there were tons of vendors giving out useful information not to mention treats for the kids. They had a blast, and I was so grateful that we got our shots. Call me paranoid, but it's one less thing for me to worry about. Thanks to DHMC for doing such a great job.

As I mentioned, we squeaked by with the homeschool board, but we learned some important lessons and now look to everything as some sort of proof of our efforts. It's kind of a shame because it's forcing me to take a utilitarian POV on the things we do, but such is life. And it doesn't take much, in the end. We were admittedly pretty slack in the past year, somehow we got too complacent and paid the price.

To complicate our lives even further, we are still trying to finish building that barn, and there are people waiting in the woodworks for our word to start working. They are ready, they just need the go-ahead nod from us. Unfortunately, the final word does not rest with us, it's with Bob, and being the go-between is a big pain in the "you know what."

I like the idea of Paul being the leader and just dealing with it, and maybe that will come about at some point, but he's got his own life to deal with. The nerve.

In terms of my dealings with the state, we've cleared waivers with homeschooling and submitted what we believe to be the required paperwork for the septic system. All we can do is sit back and wait.

Gotta run. I'm feeling stressed about our Trip, and I've got to direct my neurosis accordingly. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: