Sunday, August 22, 2010

Again, Not Worthy

Our kids sure do a good job of making me feel unworthy of their presence, or should I say, "presents?" They made, by hand, all by their lonesome, a bunch of gifts for us on our birthday. They were so cute, and it was clear that they really put a lot of time and thought into them.

What was great was that they made everything, right down to the boxes that the gifts were put in. R and I were so touched, and we loved opening them and seeing what their efforts produced.

N made a box filled with Jacob's Ladders, made with a variety of paper in all sorts of colors. They were so cool, fun to play with. He even said that they were easy and he'd be happy to show me how to make them. The box that they came in was made by his very own hands, and it even had a pipe-cleaner clasp to open and close it. What a great design, a true engineer at heart.

He also made a puzzle for mom, and I have to confess that it was a little beyond my abilities to solve. I tried it, but couldn't solve it, he made an expert level puzzle. We kept mentioning that perhaps only Grandmom JR could solve it since she's an ace puzzle-solver.

A made some bead art, or whatever it's called, in the pattern of "Peace, Love, and Happiness." How cool is that? So conscientious for a 9-year-old. I have to confess, I got to see the charms beforehand because I am the one who usually irons them to set the patterns, but it was still a wonderful surprise.

She also made a jack-in-the-box out of construction paper, complete with a heart made out of pipe-cleaners on the end. It worked, too. Our kids should be toy designers for Hasbro.

Finally, in homage to my Mentor, A made two origami hot-air balloons complete with pipe-cleaner renditions of mom and dad, which for the record we beautifully done. Pipe-cleaner Mom even had blond hair and a matching outfit, and Pipe-cleaner Dad had a dark ponytail with an orange hair wrap. Both mom and dad were holding hearts above their heads to honor their big day. It was really cool.

There were more things, but I can't really describe them all in excruciating detail without driving all of you crazy, so I'll leave it at that. Suffice it to say that the presents were fabulous and yet another example of how unworthy we are, or at least I am, of having such great kids.

Then again, that's just my opinion, and who really cares what I think?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to RIC, ARL, and NRL for the pics.

No comments: