Monday, August 16, 2010

Wrong Order

I was running around dragging the kids with me to do errands and went to get more paper goods at White River Paper, which is in White River (thus the name) and not always so convenient. Then again, anything that isn't right down the street is inconvenient to me.

I made a huge blunder and forgot to bring an example of the paper boats we use, so I had to guess. The guy showed me an example of one size, and it looked right, so I said yes. He brought the stuff out, and we went home. Of course, being the complete moron that I am, I didn't check the case, even in lieu of the fact that my gut instinct told me the box looked small.

Sure enough, when I got home, he hadn't given me what he told me I needed. In other words, he showed me one size, and then sold me another. This meant, of course, that I needed to pile the kids into the car and go back, a fact that they were not happy about (a gross understatement if there ever was one). A even said, upon telling her that I needed to go back to WRJ, "Okay, have fun." You have to love a little attitude in a time of crisis.

Not wanting to subject them to more parental BS, even though that's a parent's right, I called our good friend HH and she was fortuitously home. I asked her if they could watch the kids for an hour while I went back to WRJ, and since her girls were there, they replied with an emphatic, "Yes." A&N were pleased to no end.

The situation was complicated by the fact that it was 4:00 and I had karate at 6:00. This meant that I had to get the right stuff, make dinner and feed the kids, then get to karate so I can continue my training in how to deliver death blows to my foes.

I dropped the kids off and went back to White River paper to raise some hell. I was ready to give him a piece of my mind, though it wasn't completely the guy's fault. I wasn't clear about what I wanted, and I should have checked the box before heading home. He did, however, sell me something different than what he was telling me.

We both had blood on our hands. I got to the store armed with an example of what I needed, and the guy was so nice and helpful, that I couldn't be mad. He helped me out, we straightened out the situation, and I came away from it grateful that we live in a small town and get to deal with businesses on a more personal level. I can appreciate that.

For the record, when I got to HH's to pick up the kids, A&N were not happy to see me, and kept commenting on how it seemed like such a short time. If only they knew.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thank for reading, and thanks to HH for saving the day.

No comments: