Saturday, September 11, 2010

Tomato Fever

Our gardening experience this year has been pretty good, and though the drama with pests and the unpleasant weather all paint a different picture, with me holding the brush, of course, for most part, things went okay. I cannot take any of the credit, of course, because it has really be the work of R and the kids.

With this in mind, I've found with gardening that it is feast of famine, with not too much in-between. We go through long periods where we have nothing to show for our efforts but pain and suffering, and then, all of a sudden, we are inundated with veggies. Too many for us to eat.

Talking to other gardeners, I get a sense that we are not alone in feeling this way. I'm not complaining, it's just that we have tomatoes coming out of our ears. I know the thing to do is can or freeze them, but we'll get to that later.

Our problem is complicated by the fact that the tomatoes are the small cherry variety, making the process of skinning and seeding them a bit more difficult, though not impossible. They are ideal, however, for salads, and to a lesser degree, on top of pizza. Also, inspired by DH, I have been chowing on tomato sandwiches, which consist of tomatoes, mayo, and salt between two pieces of bread. They are so good, though not the most substantial meal. I could probably eat three of them in one sitting.

We'll see how this one goes. With one less market to deal with, we'll have more time.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to RIC, ARL, and NRL for the pics.

No comments: