Thursday, May 19, 2011

Back in the Saddle

When you get back home from vacation, you realize that the world goes on without you, irregardless of whether or not you are there. Case in point, our house, including the millions of projects that are a part of it. While we were soaking up the sun and olive oil of the Mediterranean, things that needed to be done around here weren't getting done. Now why do you suppose that is?

Before we had left, I knew that the lawn was going to be a mess, and thankfully the lawnmower started without too much pain and suffering. I managed to cut the log pile into blocks, but that only means that I have to relocate it and then split it. I think this Winter's wood will be completed within the next few days, and then I can procrastinate on year 2. On a brighter note, I did hear from TB about getting another truckload, and he gave me a thumbs up, but not until Summer. Fine with me, the later the better.

There was food to be re-stocked in the kitchen, which meant shopping at P/C and Coop, and then going back to get the things I'd forgotten, which always happens. This is a bit more interesting now that we're back because our diets are Euro inspired, i.e., smaller meals and more bread and cheese.

I need to get back on the writing treadmill since I essentially got nothing done on vacation. I had this crazy notion that I'd have all this free time on the islands to write the Great American Novel, but no such luck. I was too busy soaking up the sun and taking naps. Now that we're back, I need to take this a little more seriously, but we'll see how this one goes.

The kids will have assorted camps coming up, not to mention sports, particularly for N. T-ball started while we were away, so we've missed about 3 weeks. The silver lining of this is that I got out of being head coach, not that I was able to. N will have to slip in a little late, but that shouldn't be a problem because we can practice plenty in our spare time. There are also piano/drum/guitar lessons to resume, and assorted fun activities (pottery, tennis, etc.) that we'd like to rekindle. Boy, I need a vacation from my vacation.

Oh, and let us not forget about dumplings. Or maybe it would be better to conveniently ignore that one... I don't think so.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to RIC for the pics.

No comments: