Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 1 - Flight Drama

Flying to Europe can be a chore. The overseas flights tend to be in the evening, depositing you in Europe in the AM, but you arrive tired from getting no sleep on the plane. Some people can simply go out like a light, but I tend to stay awake, and feel horrible all day. The problem is, you can't go to sleep during the day because then you can't sleep that night.

This time around, it worked out fairly well. We flew out at 5:30 to Frankfurt, then a one hour layover, connecting to Turkey via Turkish Air. By that time, you're so tired, you're operating on fumes, and you have to really push yourself to keep going, because you're not quite there.

To add to the drama, a guy on the plane had a heart attack, or something along those lines. It caused quite a commotion as the stewardesses were throwing water on his face and his wife was slapping him silly. They finally dragged him to the back and asked the passengers if there was a doctor amongst them. It was like being in a movie, "Is there a doctor in the house." I was sure we were going to make an emergency landing, but I think he was okay, because we continued with the flight.

I'm glad it worked out. Nothing like a little drama to keep you awake during a flight. We had about an hour in Franfort, then off to Turkey. It is nice to land in the daylight, it kind of improves your POV. Also, the plane for Turkish Air was not state of the art, and the crew seemed to be running things as if they were making it up as they went along, but the food was killer on the plane. Now I'm not a good judge of these things, because personally I like the food on planes, but on the Turkish flight, they served these ethnic dishes that tasted great. They also had cheese, roasted peppers, and some sort of dessert that wasn't that great. The entree, though, was some sort of quiche-like thing which I loved.

Better than the food on Lufstansa, that's for sure. I can't even remember what they served us, chicken I think. I'd heard that American airlines try to emulate the service of European airlines, but personally I think the best service I've had on a plane was on American flights, specifically Jet Blue, because they TVs at every seat, and Delta and USAir. I've flown several European airlines and found the service to be less than exemplary. Oh well, what are you going to do?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Danka K for the pic.

No comments: