Friday, October 17, 2008

Busy Day

We had one of those "whopper of day" days, yesterday, but that all en par for the course with us, and much of it was rooted in my getting too ambitious for my own good. But such is life, I can't seem to help it, I somehow embrace the philosophy of not thinking about it too much and just going for it. I'll never learn.

Either way, we had riding lessons at 1:00, but before that I baked three loaves of bread, a tray of brownies for contradance, cookies for choir, and made lunch for the kids and soup for dinner. On top of all that, I threw in a load of laundry and hung it to dry (we don't have a dryer, we're so rustic). It was a bit of a mad rush, but I guess in the end, I like it. I like doing the domestic stuff, but more importantly, I like doing a good job at whatever I do, especially when it's for my family. I can't stress that enough.

A had riding lessons yesterday and for some reason the other mother invited a couple of other kids along, thereby disrupting the wonderful dynamic that A and H had together, not to mention compromising their riding lesson by introducing more kids. Now they can't ride like they used to because the teacher has to take care of four kids. Whatever be the case, A still had fun, and the other kids were nice, and we know them. I shouldn't complain, but things are different.

N and I went ice skating and he is so good at it, it's amazing. He's a natural, and once again, we saw the masses of kids skating for hockey at the rink. It's a bit much, these kids can barely skate and their suiting up for hockey. It's possible that they have plans for them to be pros, but whatever be the case, there is a certain degree of pushing them towards this competitive environment that is all a bit cliche. To each their own, as they say.

Today we're supposed to go hiking with CH but I'm thinking we can't make it, there's too much going on, and the hike will be challenging, not that we couldn't rise up to it. We have choir and then contradance tonight, so I'm thinking we'll lay low, even though it's a chance to see CH, our buddy.

A friend the other day voiced doubts about homeschooling, she's wavered before and now she's wavering again. I've definitely heard it before, and I wish I could calm her concerns, especially in lieu of the fact that she's so damn capable, I am personally a big fan of hers, as is R. Their son is worthy of the challenge of homeschooling, but I also acknowledge that it is hard, and if something isn't working, you have to adapt. I hope it works out.

At least it's not raining! It did yesterday but the rain broke enough for the kids to ride, which I'm grateful for. We are still preparing for the big birthday.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: