Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Forming a Plan

After resting on my laurels for months, I think I'm starting to assert myself, but we'll see where this one goes. We are still answering to the state, and I have to get that together, but I've also decided to keep a HS diary regarding all that we do, because we do so much, and to distill it down to a few pages of a portfolio seems to sell it so short. Of course, it's much more complicated than that.

I've also started asserting myself more on the freelance market, and hope to get some nibbles. Hell, at this point, I'd blog for free to do some travel stuff. I've written to Erika but heard nothing, and hope she'll accept one of my ideas for the Nov/Dec issue, but chances are slim, and even if she did accept, I'd have to bust my ass to crank out the piece, but am willing to do that. Why do I sit on these things for so long? Time sure flies, I can't keep up at times. Will Google travel and parenting sites and start writing queries.

Today is a rainy, cold day, maybe a good one for ice skating, maybe not. I don't necessarily like to see all those hockey punks on the ice, but the kids do love to skate, and the practice can't hurt. Bailed on J this weekend, twice, but am hoping she isn't too peeved. It's hard when you've got more important things to deal with, like Nicholas' birthday.

Speaking of which, we had a great day. There were just the right amount of presents, and he loved the ones he got. We timed it well, or should I say R timed it well, I snuck out to go to work. I know how terrible this sounds, but we live and die by our project, and now that it's working, we need to crank out data, but I don't need to explain myself. It was only for a couple of hours in the AM, and the kids were playing with their toys.

I have to admit, I like the small, quiet birthday. It suits me, and the big ones overwhelm not only myself, but the kids, as well. Besides, what a pain to organize, not to mention the expense, which is secondary in the grand scheme of things.

We had a nice birthday breakfast, which N insisted on helping make, and then they opened the first gift from Grandmom, these remote control cars that they loved. They played with them all morning, so I wasn't missed one bit. When I got back home, the kids were playing full swing with all their toys, they decided to go off a bit, which was fine. Personally I think they could have stayed at home all day and played with the toys, but we had plans. AND, we had to check out data.

Then it was off to the bowling alley. I find bowling alleys somewhat depressing, for some reason, especially on a beautiful fall day, but we like to bowl. Unfortunately, there were three birthday parties that day (not unfortunate for the birthday folks, mind you) so all the candle-pin lanes were taken. SO, we took a leap of faith and went for the regular bowling, which I personally suck at. The last time I was in NYC, we went bowling and I was hitting so many gutter balls that my teammates wanted to bowl for me, the losers.

Anyway, we got the big balls. The nice thing is, you can opt for the rails, which pop up for whomever wants them, and chose our balls. A&N were really up for it, and they did a great job. In fact, they hit a few spares, apiece. As for me, I was okay, but I hit my first strike. I couldn't believe it, and R was amazing. So incredibly graceful, she's a natural, and good, to boot. It was a blast and the kids loved it. We set a nice precedent and can now bowl on the regular lanes, away from the depressing corner and more in the center. Don't ask me why that matters.

We jetted by work, got some good data (whew!), then to Hollywood video to get Cars, then to Pizza Chef for dinner and movies. CB came over and she even brought N a gift, so nice. It was a lot of fun, we had cake and I think N had a nice day, though for some reason he's so full of self-doubt that he wouldn't even make a wish. Something we'll have to keep an eye on, he never likes to try things and we may have to assert ourselves more.

BTW, I tried furiously to get in touch with Sam to make our cake. He's over at the Quechee Club, but after numerous phone calls, of which NOBODY called me back (those bastards at the Club), I decided that Sam wasn't an option anymore. Instead, we went with Lou's, and though I personally think their baked goods are mediocre at best, they do have a killer chocolate cake, maybe my favorite. I called it in, it was just the right size, though it struck me as expensive, and I wonder if they charge more for orders. I don't recall it costing that much, but I remember things wrong all the time.

The cake, however, was killer, and still one of the best to me. When we were at Contradance, we had cake for a girls birthday, and it was way average. It had that sucky, hard frosting that reminds you of flavored butter. I'm wondering where they got it.

Speaking of Contradance, it was strange seeing P&J because PD has been putting off the estimate on the barn, and now that he's doing a job for a us, and a big one, he and J both seem inordinately nice. We never hear from these guys, and suddenly it's like we're kin. Weird, and I'm sure I'm reading too much into it, but it's still weird. Just for the record, GD was being very "not-nice" at the dance, completely ignoring all of us. The arrival of Is was our saving grace, but I have to give credit to A, she is unfazed and just jumps right in. She's so good.

And N danced. Just a little, but he went out there, and he had fun. Could be a beginning.

Gotta run and make breakfast for the kids. A&N both had nightmares last night, so we haven't slept well. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: