Sunday, November 4, 2012

Calling All Real Men

Or should I say, all real men in training? In my quest to be Paul Bunyan, I had to break out my chainsaw and cut up a tree. It doesn’t get any more New England than that. As I mentioned, the big storm came through and knocked a tree over in our yard. I was bummed for a number of reasons, including the fact that I had to dust off the chainsaw and put back into action. Also, with proper planning, I probably could have avoided the entire situation, but you make your bed and sleep in it, right?

Either way, I was a little concerned about cutting it, because it was resting on the wood pile, and I always have these nightmare scenarios where the trunk whips around after I cut it, taking off my head. It wasn’t that bad, of course, I just need something to fuel my anxiety.

The tree was an Eastern Hornbeam, or what they call Iron Wood because it’s extra hard. Apparently it makes for outstanding firewood, so that’s one bonus. I’d say we got about half a cord out of it, though I’ll earmark it for next year. Also, since I had the chainsaw all primed and ready, I cut some bigger saplings in the driveway that our new plow guy said should be removed. I figured I’d get the most use out of the saw before I put it back into storage.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: