Saturday, November 3, 2012

Thoughts on School

I still wrestle with the whole school thing. I was talking to our friends who just started homeschooling and they said they were not going to continue next year, they’re sending their kid back to school. I understand, and wonder sometimes if our kids wouldn’t benefit from some school time. Besides just being around other kids, I think they would be more academically stimulated, not to mention motivated. Unless you’re an uber parent like CH, it’s hard providing a really rigorous education, though you can pay attention to their strengths and weaknesses.

I’m not saying teaching is rocket scientists, and teachers are not geniuses. Once you get to know them, it’s clear that this is not the case, it’s just that they are objective administrators of information, and it makes it all cut and dry. Sure, some teachers do more harm than good, but for the most part, there are benefits to the academic environment in school. Plus, as they get older, my feeling is that A&N should at some point go to a real high school, and the sooner they get used to the class setting, the easier the transition will be.

Our friends who homeschool recently sent their daughter back to school, I believe in middle school, and one of the first things she talked about was how mean the kids were. That really bums me out, but maybe that’s part of education, dealing with jerks. Somehow kids take it to new levels, though.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to evmaiden for the pic.

No comments: