Saturday, November 3, 2012

It’s Better to Regret What You Have Done

The other night we went to A’s practice and N wanted to tag along. There was open ice in the evening and the coach said he was interested in holding a practice, so that day, after N’s game, we went home, had some supper, and then headed back to the arena. Since it was an unusual time, we figured N could skate, as well, and maybe one or two of his friends would show up. There are a lot of siblings on A’s and N’s teams.

Well, N is one stubborn cookie, and he said he didn’t feel like bringing his skates. I told him he might be able to skate, but he figured his friends would show up and they could run around while A had her practice. I said he should just bring his skates and if he ran around, the skates would sit in the car, but if his friends skated, he’d have them. He dug in his heels and said no. At some point I just threw up my hands and said fine, I was done pleading with him.

Sure enough, when we got there, his friend was there, but he’d brought his skates and ended up skating with his dad. I had my skates and practiced a bit, and all the while, N sat on the side and watched. I didn’t say a thing, but I figured it was a good lesson for the next time we have such an argument. It’s also good for R and I, as parents, not to constantly take care of every situation and teach the kids some responsibility. N was bummed, but maybe he’ll take something away from the experience.

It’s better to regret what you have done than what you haven’t done, right? Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to stephsk8r for the pic.

No comments: