There is a critter amongst us, but we knew that would be an issue when we signed onto this project. In years past we'd battled woodchucks and deer, and have found it's just a losing battle. You can't beat nature, nor I guess, should you. It's their world, right? Either way, it can be frustrating and disheartening, but you do the best you can and roll with it. Our high-tech solution seems to have limited capabilities on certain fronts, and one front in particular is woodchucks, especially since a colony seems to live nearby.
For weeks we had no problems and things were moving along smoothly until we noticed that something was eating our squash plants. Thankfully they left the tomatoes alone, but gradually the squash started to disappear until some of the plants were completely gone. What a bummer. I put wire barriers around them, but the beast simply collapsed them to get to the plants, which were starting to flower. Some of the plants are right next to the radar gun, too. Oh well, at this point I feel that if he eats the squash and leaves the tomatoes alone, that's about as much as I can ask for. We'll see how this one goes.
We have three plots going so between them we should get some sort of crop this year... I hope. Weeding thus far hasn't been too bad because we have been making an effort to stay on top of it, and so far, so good. Stay tuned for more.
Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to eva8 for the pic.