Friday, July 4, 2014

Wild Kingdom


Life in the wilds of New England is not without its fair share of adventure, especially of the mammalian kind. We have had a steady stream of wildlife through out backyard, and it's been pretty entertaining. A few months back we had bears in our compost, which was not that entertaining, and of course we had the usual woodchuck issues in our garden. We've been lucky in that they haven't bothered our tomatoes, but I'm wondering if that's because they don't like tomatoes. They didn't hesitate to chomp on the sunflowers, which I had to enclose. This, of course, makes me wonder if our high-tech solution is actually working, but I'm still a believer.

There has also been a fair number of deer coming through the yard, including a mom and her baby. The other morning they passed through and suddenly took off. A few moments later a coyote passed through, and the other day I was driving and saw a beautiful young red fox. Add in an unusual number of barred owls having a party in the woods, and you realize you aren't in Kansas anymore.

Now excuse me while I go click my heels together. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to jean anderson for the pic.

No comments: