Monday, September 10, 2012

Arriving in Korcula

We spent a couple of days on our second Croatian island, Korcula, and as sad as it was to leave Hvar, I have to say, Korcula is pretty amazing, as well. I might even go as far as to say I like it better, thought they're both awesome. This is the view from our terrace.

While Croatia seems like a far-off and exotic destination, as I've said, it's the place to be for European and Eurasian travelers, especially the jet-set with money. Case in point, when we pulled into the bay at Korcula, there was the biggest private yacht I'd ever seen. The thing was as big as a football field, and the guy who met us at the dock said it belonged to Abramovich. I wasn't sure what he was talking about, but after some research, I found out the guy is Roman Abramovich, the Russian billionaire, and his boat even has a name - it's called Vibrant Curiosity and it is in fact about 300 feet long. Is that crazy, or what? Even more crazy is that his boat is docked in Korcula.

I also learned that Korcula is where Marco Polo was born, and where he set off on his great adventure at the age of 17. Cool historical fact. Our apartment in Korcula is amazing, very beautifully done, and stylish and clean. Best of all, the location is great, facing the ocean with a view, right above the main drag.

More on Korcula later, I have to run. Until the next time, thanks for reading, thanks to RIC for the pics.

No comments: