Monday, September 10, 2012

We Love Croatia

You know, a few years ago if you'd told me that I'd love visiting Croatia, I would have told you that you were crazy. I've always had this image of Croatia being cold and Cold War, with gray buildings and former KGB agents trying to sell me black market nuclear arms, but it's nothing like that. In fact, it's amazingly beautiful, very much like the Greek Islands, though I might go as far as to say that I like Croatia better. It's definitely cheaper because it's not EU, but it's also pretty hip and the Adriatic Sea is so beautiful. Like Greece, the people are very friendly, and we've been welcomed with open arms, though we are tourists and we are their bread and butter.

Whatever be the case, the people are very warm and friendly, they speak English for the most, and the dollar still has some power over the Kuna, so things are definitely cheaper. Much cheaper than the Euro, that's for sure.

One thing about being in Croatia is that we are definitely in vacation mode (this is the view from our terrace), which means relaxing in the warm weather, swimming frequently in the beautiful, crystal clear Adriatic, and eating amazing food, especially the seafood. I've said this before, but I didn't realize that Croatia is such a destination. I think amongst the jet-set and Europeans, Croatia is the place to go. Even the touristy areas are more enjoyable than the ones you see in Athens or Rome, they're just more cheerful and easygoing.

I can't say enough about how much we're enjoying our time here, and the kids are loving it because not only do they get to swim all day, but they're loving the food. A&N are being very adventurous with their food choices, and I think A is at the age where the young, hip and happening singles scene holds at least a little interest for her. How can you not be intrigued by young beautiful people dressed stylishly (or not at all) and dancing and having fun. Kind of scary from a parental POV, but what are you going to do?

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: